[mythtv-users] CCI Copy Freely Letter Campaign

Kirk Bocek t004 at kbocek.com
Mon Jul 20 16:09:17 UTC 2015

On 7/19/2015 7:41 AM, Brendan Kearney wrote:
> i am not sure if it has been discussed, but it seems to me that Fox
> (or other content providers) does not dictate the value of the CCI
> flag, more that the service provider does.  take for example the CCI
> scanner database...
>
> http://www.ronfrazier.net/mythtv/cci/index.php
>
> this shows that the CCI flag setting  may not even be at the service
> provider level, but at the franchise level.  i would think some
> hierarchy decision flow may be in place, where the service provider
> says these channels have to get these flags set or a minimum value
> must be set, and leaves decisions around more restrictive values or
> other channels that are not globally dictated up to the franchise to
> decide.
>
> my point is the content providers may not be the (only) audience to
> effect change.  the service providers and franchises likely play a
> significant role in the decision process, too.

We may never know. However in the thread that motivated this campaign,
"FIOS copy protecting national Fox Channels," it was assumed that Fox
requested the change because that was the information the user got back
from the network.

This worries me because I am on Comcast and Comcast has been pretty free
with their use of CCI=Copy Freely. I don't want to loose that.

So instead of trying to figure out who is doing this, I see this letter
going out to *both* parties. Send it to both the content creators (Fox)
and the network providers (Comcast, Fios.) They both have an interest.
Let them work it out themselves.