[mythtv-users] best current RedHat-based distro for simple MythTV

Stuart Auchterlonie stuarta at squashedfrog.net
Mon Jul 20 09:28:05 UTC 2015

On 13/07/15 17:51, Jerome Yuzyk wrote:

> I am working to replace my old 0.21 on RedHat 9 FE/BE while the recording
> season is quiet. I want to use a RedHat-based distro because that's what I
> know best and have run on all the workstations and servers in my world
> since the late 1990s.
>
> My MythTV box will be pretty simple: a FE/BE, 2 PVR-500s, and a mid-range
> nVidia card (GT630 I think) capturing analog cable from my provider's
> "basic" plan. I may tinker with digital and HD in the future but I haven't
> yet seen the point of either for my viewing interests. I'd like to add some
> other media-playing to the new box like YouTube, etc but mostly want to get
> my old setup on new hardware before my drives eat dust.
>
> My choices seem to be CentOS 6, CentOS 7, and Fedora 22.

Centos 7 will work, we have a buildslave building on that platform
and do plan to support it while it's out for as long as possible.

I suspect there are no packages for centos7, it will be a case of
build it yourself.

Having said that, your sticking point here will be driver support,
if you have brand new hardware you may need a more bleeding edge
distro, which is what f22 will give you.

> CentOS 6 seems to be a little old given that CentOS 7 has been out for some
> time now.
>
> I tried Fedora 22 but I have to solve the problem of these 2 processes
> burning 100% of my dual-core CPU starting minutes after I boot.
>
>   528 ?        R    1540:53 /usr/lib/udev/v4l_id /dev/vbi0
>   533 ?        R    1540:28 /usr/lib/udev/v4l_id /dev/video33

That's odd. Looks like udev is trying to identify your hardware to
go and create some links for it.

Specifically the ruleset in
/usr/lib/udev/rules.d/60-persistent-v4l.rules wants to build the device
symlinks.

Does that command ever run to completion?
It should only run briefly and then stop once it has gathered
the information it is after

> I can live with the Fedora upgrade cycle - I have been for years, but I can
> appreciate the stability of CentOS and would switch to that but Googling
> for "MythTV on CentOS 7" did not give me much info on running on CentOS 7.
> Mostly talk about waiting for the ATrpms repo to catch up. Lots of info on
> CentOS 6 but I'd rather not go retro with that.
>
> Has anyone tried Fedora 22? Any idea what those processes are?

See above

> How about CentOS 7? Good support for nVidia and my PVR-500s?
>
> Did I miss a FAQ somewhere?

Regards
Stuart