[mythtv-users] FIOS copy protecting national Fox channels

David Engel david at istwok.net
Tue Jul 14 04:11:48 UTC 2015

On Tue, Jul 14, 2015 at 03:15:39AM +0000, Gary Buhrmaster wrote:
> On Tue, Jul 14, 2015 at 2:43 AM, David Engel <david at istwok.net> wrote:
> > My recording of tonight's US/Panama Gold Cup match kept failing on
> > both my Ceton ITV6 and HDHR Prime.  I finally figured out why.  It
> > seems FIOS is now setting all national Fox channels to 'One Copy'.
> > That includes Fox Sports 1/2, Big Ten Network, National Geographic,
> > Fox News/Business, etc.  Is anyone else on FIOS seeing this too?  What
> > about other cable carriers?
>
> Fox has been using CGMS in some markets.  And a previous
> update to the CableCARD specifications allows CCI=copy_freely
> to return no CCI flags, which required that the OCUR tuners respect
> the CGMS flags.  There was a (later) change to the CableCARD
> specs that allows the tuners to ignore the CGMS settings, but
> needs the more recent firmware from both SiliconDust and Ceton
> (the Ceton is a beta which used to be only referenced via
> a direct download link on (I think) the greenbutton site).  I would not

I knew about this issue, but had not been plagued by it, so hadn't
bothered with any firmware upgrades.  With something that's as
precarious as cablecards, I try not to break what is not already
broken.

> be surprised to learn that you may also need a fully validated
> CableCARD (typically for FIOS you can get away without full
> validation.  Try it and see).

Could be.  Getting them fully authorized the first time was very
painful.  So painful, that when I had to swap them around last time, I
didn't bother doing it again.  Again, don't break...

Anyway, you could be on to something here.  Checking the vstatus gave
a big clue.  It reports cci=none and auth=not-subscribed.  That's
quite different than the Ceton which only reported 'One copy'.  I
updated the HDHR firmware, but no change.  Doing the Ceton firmware
now.  I expect to be on the phone trying to fully authorize the cards
very soon.  Stay tuned (pun intended).

> Use the latest firmware from SD available at:
>    https://www.silicondust.com/support/downloads/
> And the Ceton firmware available at:
>   http://www.cetoncorp.com/downloads/ceton_infinitv_beta_fw_15_1_13_152.IMAGE
>
> As always, upgrading firmware is at your own risk.  I am not
> responsible for bricking of you devices (there is always a small
> probability of any firmware update bricking your device).
>
> It is possible that this is happening now is that your CableCARD
> is a Cisco, and FIOS has updated the firmware to the levels
> that can cause difficulty.

FWIW, both my cablecards are Motorolas.

David

--