[mythtv-users] FIOS copy protecting national Fox channels

Gary Buhrmaster gary.buhrmaster at gmail.com
Tue Jul 14 03:15:39 UTC 2015

On Tue, Jul 14, 2015 at 2:43 AM, David Engel <david at istwok.net> wrote:
> My recording of tonight's US/Panama Gold Cup match kept failing on
> both my Ceton ITV6 and HDHR Prime.  I finally figured out why.  It
> seems FIOS is now setting all national Fox channels to 'One Copy'.
> That includes Fox Sports 1/2, Big Ten Network, National Geographic,
> Fox News/Business, etc.  Is anyone else on FIOS seeing this too?  What
> about other cable carriers?

Fox has been using CGMS in some markets.  And a previous
update to the CableCARD specifications allows CCI=copy_freely
to return no CCI flags, which required that the OCUR tuners respect
the CGMS flags.  There was a (later) change to the CableCARD
specs that allows the tuners to ignore the CGMS settings, but
needs the more recent firmware from both SiliconDust and Ceton
(the Ceton is a beta which used to be only referenced via
a direct download link on (I think) the greenbutton site).  I would not
be surprised to learn that you may also need a fully validated
CableCARD (typically for FIOS you can get away without full
validation.  Try it and see).

Use the latest firmware from SD available at:
   https://www.silicondust.com/support/downloads/
And the Ceton firmware available at:
  http://www.cetoncorp.com/downloads/ceton_infinitv_beta_fw_15_1_13_152.IMAGE

As always, upgrading firmware is at your own risk.  I am not
responsible for bricking of you devices (there is always a small
probability of any firmware update bricking your device).

It is possible that this is happening now is that your CableCARD
is a Cisco, and FIOS has updated the firmware to the levels
that can cause difficulty.

Or something else entirely is happening.