[mythtv-users] Strange resolution problem

Damian myth at surr.co.uk
Sun Jul 12 22:05:32 UTC 2015

On 07/07/2015 09:46, Damian wrote:
> On 06/07/2015 16:01, Michael T. Dean wrote:
>> On 07/06/2015 06:32 AM, Damian wrote:
>>> The first thing I did was test a particularly bad scene from a
>>> program I watched a few nights ago. That would now play without any
>>> problems. So, I decided to watch a full film last night. It was
>>> pretty good throughout, but at about 3 points throughout the film,
>>> it had two or three of these 'black and searching' screens, then
>>> after a couple of seconds it pops back up having found the
>>> resolution again (switching between 1920x1080 and 1919x1080).
>>
>> The fact that the annoying mode is 1 pixel less than your
>> normal/desired mode leads me to assume that this may be related to
>> the Window Manager you're using "scaling away" some 1-pixel-wide
>> auto-hidden bar on the side of your screen every once in a while. I'd
>> guess it's one of those fancy, compositing Window Managers. That
>> said, if I'm correct, it won't help you fix the issue with your
>> projector disliking mode changes (and/or prevent mode changes), but
>> it may help find ways to avoid the changes (even it means just
>> switching to a different,
>> less-fancy-but-much-better-for-MythTV-type-usage Window Manager).
>>
>> Note, too, that MythTV will only change the mode if you enable:
>>
>> Separate video modes for GUI and TV playback
>> Switch X Window video modes for TV. Requires "xrandr" support.
>>
>> and set the appropriate related settings.  So, if your mode is
>> changing and you have that disabled, it's not MythTV that's doing the
>> changing.
>>
>> Mike
>
> I fixed it!
>
> I too was thinking that it must be something to do with the window
> manager or something, but I'm using XFCE, the default WM that comes
> with Mythbuntu.
>
> Then I remembered that I edited the DPI setting to make everything a
> bit bigger on screen.
>
> I had it set to 100, which must have resulted in things not quite
> fitting to 1920x1080 right. So, it was kind of flickering between 1920
> and 1919 resolution.
>
> I'm not quite sure why this was only happening on scene changes, but
> don't really care as it's fixed now :-) I've even deleted the xorg
> file (why had been the only thing that had made it at all bearable)
> and all is still good.
>
> Thanks for the help everyone.
>
> Is there any other way to make everything a bit bigger on screen
> without messing with the DPI? I've increased the default font size and
> the height of the default mythbutu/xfce panel, but some things are
> still too small.
>
> Thanks again,
> Damian
It's back :-(

I've not been using my system much, but my wife was watching tennis
today and the black screen and 'searching' problem kept happening again.
Losing a few seconds of image every now and again.

I've double checked the dpi setting in the GUI and it's set at the
default again.

What on earth is this issue?

I know it's not a MythTV thing, as today it was happening in iPlayer in
Firefox. However, you people are the smartest Linux community I know, so
any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Damian