[mythtv-users] Strange resolution problem

Damian myth at surr.co.uk
Tue Jul 7 08:46:29 UTC 2015

On 06/07/2015 16:01, Michael T. Dean wrote:
> On 07/06/2015 06:32 AM, Damian wrote:
>> The first thing I did was test a particularly bad scene from a
>> program I watched a few nights ago. That would now play without any
>> problems. So, I decided to watch a full film last night. It was
>> pretty good throughout, but at about 3 points throughout the film, it
>> had two or three of these 'black and searching' screens, then after a
>> couple of seconds it pops back up having found the resolution again
>> (switching between 1920x1080 and 1919x1080).
>
> The fact that the annoying mode is 1 pixel less than your
> normal/desired mode leads me to assume that this may be related to the
> Window Manager you're using "scaling away" some 1-pixel-wide
> auto-hidden bar on the side of your screen every once in a while. I'd
> guess it's one of those fancy, compositing Window Managers. That said,
> if I'm correct, it won't help you fix the issue with your projector
> disliking mode changes (and/or prevent mode changes), but it may help
> find ways to avoid the changes (even it means just switching to a
> different, less-fancy-but-much-better-for-MythTV-type-usage Window
> Manager).
>
> Note, too, that MythTV will only change the mode if you enable:
>
> Separate video modes for GUI and TV playback
> Switch X Window video modes for TV. Requires "xrandr" support.
>
> and set the appropriate related settings.  So, if your mode is
> changing and you have that disabled, it's not MythTV that's doing the
> changing.
>
> Mike

I fixed it!

I too was thinking that it must be something to do with the window
manager or something, but I'm using XFCE, the default WM that comes with
Mythbuntu.

Then I remembered that I edited the DPI setting to make everything a bit
bigger on screen.

I had it set to 100, which must have resulted in things not quite
fitting to 1920x1080 right. So, it was kind of flickering between 1920
and 1919 resolution.

I'm not quite sure why this was only happening on scene changes, but
don't really care as it's fixed now :-) I've even deleted the xorg file
(why had been the only thing that had made it at all bearable) and all
is still good.

Thanks for the help everyone.

Is there any other way to make everything a bit bigger on screen without
messing with the DPI? I've increased the default font size and the
height of the default mythbutu/xfce panel, but some things are still too
small.

Thanks again,
Damian