[mythtv-users] Filesystem of choice for recording drive?

Mike Hodson mystica at gmail.com
Wed Jan 21 19:57:50 UTC 2015

That seems somewhat soon for a 2tb vintage drive to just up and die...

I'm personally quite happy with my Toshiba
http://storage.toshiba.com/storagesolutions/client/dt01aca-series
dt01aca300 drives I recently got to replace a ZFS array built out of
Seagate 2tb barracudas, one of which has a seized spindle,...luckily I had
parity data remaining and I rebuilt the new array with double parity this
time and luckily have all data intact.

Another anecdote: I work in a web hosting centric datacenter and have seen
a large sample set of disks; wd has consistently had worse longevity with
their caviar blacks and blues compared to seagates similar 7200 or 5400rpm
offerings.   One customer has over 100 of these Toshiba 2tb drives in
service with almost no replacements of the same in my 2.5 year tenure at
this place.  2 or 3 drives in that time from the customers Toshiba stock
have been replaced compared to 20 or more between about 300 combined wd and
Seagate deployed in other servers also owned by that same customer, both
consumer [caviar] and enterprise[re3 re4] combined.

I've seen the RE WD drives die sooner than consumer class 7200.12
barracudas as well. Implying their cheaper consumer drives are built with
even lower longevity components.

As for filesystem, if only for recordings, and not myths database or any
other files, ext3 or ext4 with barriers disabled would be fine, as would
xfs as they all would allow out of order  metadata updates which allows
more caching to occur making your video less likely to stutter.

Hope this helps

[disclaimer: I've personally lost 4 wd drives compared to 2
pre-merger-with-Seagate Maxtors about 5 years apart, a 20gb and 200gb  to
one very new Seagate 2tb...

The 2 Maxtor and 1 Seagate were both spindle bearing failures, the WDs just
become flaky and start read erroring a lot instead... I dont really like WD
due to the repeated issues I've had, corrupt file systems eating all my
data when the disk couldn't read a little bit or wrote wrong, etc]