[mythtv-users] HDHomerun channel setup problem on 0.27

James Paul james at mauibay.net
Sat Jan 17 00:37:04 UTC 2015

Aloha,

I would appreciate some advice on getting HDHomerun Prime working with MythTV 0.27 on OpenSuse 13.1

Background:

I've been running two HDHR dual, one HDHR Prime (without a CableCard), and two HVR-850s for a total of 9 tuners for a long time on an Zotac ION box with OpenSuse 11.1 and MythTV 0.24. I have Oceanic Cable in Hawaii which is Time Warner in a condo with a basic cable package that has 70ish analog channels and the major network channels in clear QAM. I have two lineups set in SchedulesDirect with the same channel callsigns for the channels common to both lineups, and tuner priority set so that recordings are assigned to digital tuners when possible and only analog tuners if all the digital tuners are busy of the station is not available on a digital channel. I use XBMC Eden for a frontend using it's mythtv:// protocol. It's all been working perfectly for years.

The Zotac ION box has become unstable and I had another, newer, one on hand so decided to do some across-the-board upgrading. I installed Mythtv 0.27 using the appropriate Packman repo and migrated the database from the old backend to the new box, and it all worked fine except for the two analog tuners, which do record but the recordings have some horrible problem that looks like it's VBI or interlace related and the audio is very noisy. I have been troubleshooting this for a couple days with no improvement and suspect the problem is kernel or driver related and outside of mythtv. I got to the point where the only thing I can think of left to try is a clean mythtv install from the database up, so I dumped mythconverg to a backup file, dropped the database and recreated it, ran mythbackend once to recreate the schema, then ran mythtvsetup to start configuring.

What I'm doing now:

At first I did everything from memory, since I've been living inside mythtvsetup for the past few days, but got stuck trying to fetch the channels from listings. So I decided to find the current guide in the wiki and started over, following http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Silicondust_HDHomeRun_Prime closely. The steps are essentially identical to what I did the first time and I get no different results at all following the guide exactly. The problems begin at this step:

"Give your tuner a descriptive name. Change the Video Source to the one we just created. Press Fetch channels from listings source. You will see Starting channel read Please add channels to this source. You can press Next, then Finish. Press enter on the same tuner, and you will find that you can now successfully set a starting channel for this tuner."

Nothing happens when I press Fetch channels, no delay at all and no "Starting channel read." Pressing Next then Finish and reopening the screen does NOT allow me to set a starting channel or do anything differently. No channels are read at all from my SD lineup, although the previous Video Source setup is able to log into my SD account and find the lineups with no problem so I'm pretty sure it's not a SD configuration issue.

My previous setup uses QAM channel syntax for all the digital channels, since I have no CableCard and has always worked flawlessly. For example, KGMB Channel 9 on analog is channel 48#1 on digital, same as in the hdhomerun_config_gui channel menus, it's all worked great for years. But I'm stumped how to recreate this from scratch in a fresh 0.27 installation and have no idea what I'm missing, hopefully it's something simple or obvious and somebody on the list might be able to help.

To keep family happy I'm doing this stuff early in the day when not much is scheduled to be recorded, then swapping the databases so it can run during evenings and night so we can watch and record with minimum disruption, the only thing that don't work on the old database are the analog tuners. I expected to have it running perfect long before now but at this point I feel like I'm spinning my wheels. I didn't spend nearly this much time on it a few years ago to get it going, and when I added the Prime tuner a while back it was dead simple since all I had to do was add the capture devices and select the inputs, I didn't have to touch the channel setup at all.

Any help or advice appreciated!

James