[mythtv-users] Backend Hardware Questions

Brian S inanimatecrbnrod at hotmail.com
Fri Jan 16 02:28:37 UTC 2015

Greetings all,

Very Short Version: Do we think a Phenom II X4 B50 CPU stuck in a
M4A87TD motherboard will have the ability to run well as a MBE &
light-use desktop using an HVR-2250, 2 HDHR's, and 3 HDD's (OS on SSD)?

Long Version: After running a rather computery mythtv setup for a few
years, I'm attempting to downsize a little bit, and am wondering if
converting my desktop into the only backend is feasible - it seems like
it would be, but I have a knack for overlooking the obvious sometimes.
Present setup is MBE w/HVR-2250 recording OTA + HDHR prime, SBE
w/HVR-2250 recording OTA (two antennas - I live halfway between Chicago
& Milwaukee) and then a FE only.

Was thinking I could move all BE's to an always-on desktop machine.
Pertinent specs on the box in question:
CPU Phenom II X4 B50 (4 core, 3.1Ghz)
mobo Asus M4A87TD/USB3
8gb RAM (can bump to 16)

So the general idea here is to pull the HDD's from the respective BE's
and add them to the desktop computer, add one of the HVR-2250's to the
desktop, and then replace the other BE recorder with another HDHR (due
mostly to cabling issues). The OS runs on an SSD. The mobo has 6 sata
slots so I should be ok with all the HDD's. (I realize I will also need
to do other steps with fstab & database and what-have-you)
The Big Question here is mostly just does the above machine have enough
oomph to (theoretically but rather unlikely) record ~6 streams at
once/run jobs/serve content to FE's while also being a desktop for
mostly light-duty stuff? The only real CPU-intensive thing I can think I
do is run virtualized windows XP for a few minutes at a time to scan
documents to dropbox.
And I suppose Big Question #2 is there anything I might be overlooking
here that means this won't work or is a Bad idea?