[mythtv-users] Recommended Disk Test

Saul jaglover at gmail.com
Tue Jan 13 23:02:02 UTC 2015

On Tue, 13 Jan 2015 17:56:14 -0500
John Drescher <drescherjm at gmail.com> wrote:

> > Why is everyone pointing to hard drive, the op stated that problems
> > dont happen all the time. The random freezing is caused by power
> > supply.
> >

> I say it could be the power supply but not always.

To initiate a HDD test run following:

smartctl -t long /dev/<yourdevice>

It will tell you how long it takes, do not disturb it, I have seen test
interrupted when running smartctl - /dev/<yourdevice>.

Afterwards I usually run

smartctl --all /dev/<yourdevice> | grep -e "Reallocated_Sector_Ct" -e
"Current_Pending_Sector" -e "Offline_Uncorrectable" -e
"UDMA_CRC_Error_Count" -e "Hardware_ECC_Recovered"

to get the most important readings.

--
Cheers, Saul