[mythtv-users] backend MythCoreContext::GenMythURL errors

Marlon Buchanan marlonbuchanan at yahoo.com
Wed Jan 7 22:05:02 UTC 2015

-<snip>

>>I recently upgraded to .27.4 (from .25.2) and most things are running smooth now except the initial load of the recordings screen. It takes 7-10 seconds from any frontend to  load the recordings screen and while that is happening my master backend is flooded with errors of the kind:
>>

>>mythbackend[21557]: C ProcessRequest mythcorecontext.cpp:699 (GenMythURL) MythCoreContext::GenMythURL(192.168.1.108/5091_20110203100000.mpg): Given IP address instead of hostname (ID). This is invalid.
>>

>>It looks like I get one of these for every recording, and I have hundreds. I think this is causing or related to long delay in loading the recordings screen. I don't get any errors on my slave backends or on the frontend. Is there someplace I should be looking where I specify an IP address instead of a hostname and has this changed in recent myth versions?
>>

>>Thanks for any help or direction you can give.
>>
>>- Marlon

>>>An update and more information in case it helps someone help me. I've done quite a bit more searching and only found the thread below, but it didn't give me any pointers. I've found that this problem affects mythweb too. I get the same errors when I try to load the listing of recordings in mythweb, and it takes a very long time. All my backends and frontends are running .27.4
>>>http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/users/579345#579356

More info in case this helps someone figure out what's going on.

This has been getting worse, often leading to the recordings screen timing out and not showing any recordings. This looks to be possibly some kind of networking problem, although I haven't changed anything about how my network works in years. I have my router running dnsmasq and as my DHCP server it assigns the same IP to all machines based on MAC and it resolves local domain names. I have 4 backends (forgot one backend still has recordings even though I don't have a tuner attached to it anymore). In my master, on a whim I decided to add entries for the the slave backend hostnames in /etc/hosts. Keep in mind that from the commandline my master has no problems resolving the slaves with nslookup so I didn't think this would help. Well, it did. The load time sped up quickly, but the problem is still there a bit. I used to get one of the "MythCoreContext::GenMythURL(192.168.1.108/5091_20110203100000.mpg): Given IP address instead of hostname (ID). This is invalid." lines for what I believe is every single recording (around 600 or so I believe) on a slave backend. After adding the /etc/hosts entries the messages dropped down to 200 and screen went from taking 20 seconds (sometimes timing out) to load to 1-2 seconds. I still get this message in the master backend log for various recordings on each slave backend (none for recordings on the master backend), but I can find no rhyme or reason to why some recordings give this message and some don't or why adding entries to /etc/hosts helped reduced the number of recordings (seems to me it should have done nothing, or fixed them all). This one is a head scratcher for me. I never had this problem until updating the backend to .27.4, however at the same time I did update the OS to current, so maybe something changed there. I still don't understand where I would be giving it an IP when it is expecting a hostname in the OS or in myth.

I'm open to any ideas on where to look for what's wrong.

Thanks,

Marlon