[mythtv-users] Time to move to an HDMI stick for FEs?

Stephen P. Villano stephen.p.villano at gmail.com
Fri Jan 2 06:54:14 UTC 2015

On 1/2/15 1:47 AM, Nick Rout wrote:
> On Fri, Jan 2, 2015 at 3:35 PM, Paul Kendall <pkendall64 at gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Fri, Jan 2, 2015 at 3:03 PM, Thomas Mashos <thomas at mashos.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> I've still not received mine. How has your testing been going?
>>>
>>> --
>>> Thanks,
>>>
>>> Thomas Mashos
>>>
>> I've got linux (ubuntu 14.04 and 14.10) installed and had mythtv frontend
>> running fine.
>> I used a powered hub to power the meegopad and to provide keyboard and mouse
>> and the USB to install from.
>>
>> The EFI on the system is only 32bit EFI so you have to build a bootia32.efi
>> and pop that on the USB then it boots fine.
>> You have to keep pressing "Del" to get to the firmware (bios) then go to the
>> "Save & Exit" and choose the USB device to boot from.
>>
>> Make sure that you don't disable USB while fiddling as some others have done
>> as you will be a bit stuffed! And have to wait for
>> an update from the seller.
>>
>> The only problem I have is that the sound does not work yet. I'm putting
>> windows back on it (I backed up the MMC before installing linux)
>> so I can get the ACPI device ids for the audio sub system so hopefully I can
>> hack up a driver fro linux.
> I am the aforesaid idiot who changed some bios setting, and now cannot
> do anything because the only control is via a usb keyboard and/or
> mouse. Unplugging the bios battery for over 12 hours changed nothing.
> I am hoping someone is going to send me a new bios, which can
> apparently be flashed from a usb stick. Fingers crossed.
>
> Before I screwed up so royally I was running windows 8.1 with Kodi
> (the media centre previously known as prin^h^h^h^h xbmc) running fine.
> Didn't have time to test the PVR functionality.

Village, meet idiot. Our peer, for we've *all* done something that bad
in our lives.
Personally, I've had a device I "bricked" sit on the shelf for two years
before a utility came out that could be exploited to repair the gaffe.
It happens on the bleeding edge. Hence, the term.
So, from my seat, all I can say is, "Whoopsie", "Dammit".