[mythtv-users] NTSC, ATSC, QAM & device clarifications

Gary Buhrmaster gary.buhrmaster at gmail.com
Fri Feb 20 22:20:29 UTC 2015

On Fri, Feb 20, 2015 at 9:50 PM, James Miller <gajs-f0el at dea.spamcon.org> wrote:
> On Fri, 20 Feb 2015, Eric Sharkey wrote:
>> Since this is Time-Warner, you should first verify that it's clear QAM
>> and not encrypted QAM.  TW is one of the most MythTV hostile providers
>> out there.  They don't like to make things easy.
>

> Thanks for the input, Eric. I believe this is clear QAM

For TWC, as part of their MAXX rollout(*), they are also
(a) eliminating all analog channels (offering a "free"
digital converter box for those with analog only TVs),
(b) Encrypting all digital channels (offering a "free"
cheap HD-DTA (or CableCARD) for those with "Cable
Ready" TVs), and (c) Marking all content other than the
"local" OTAs with DRM settings of Copy-Once (i.e. not
recordable via MythTV) and, lastly, (d) Upgrading their
Cable Internet speeds.

As there are a number of moving parts, there are a
couple of transitions that occur.  The only fixed order
is that per FCC rules, until they eliminate all the
analog channels (other than the one that says "No
more channels here, go visit a store"), they cannot
encrypt the basic digital channels.  Some franchises
have noticed that for a short period of time some of
the channels are not initially encrypted, or do not
initially have the (final) DRM protections.  But the
target where TWC wants to end up is clear.  Plan
accordingly.  There is a hope by some that if the merger
is approved that the current corporate policy by the
purchaser (most content copy freely) will be applied
to previous TWC franchises.  Even if that eventually
happens, there is a lot of time between now and
then.

With the exception of one (larger) TWC region not yet
scheduled (upstate NY), this is all happening in
the next 12-18 months.  As with all else, there are
exceptions to every rule as every franchise is different.

In TWC land, for those that wish to use MythTV,
the usual solution is a HD-PVR for cable content
(and sometimes a OCUR tuner for the few locals,
but if you are in range, an OTA tuner may be a
better choice).

Gary

(*) It is a marketing thing, they are combining the
DOCSIS upgrades with the other parts of their
transition.  I guess it is supposed to ease the pain
of the encryption of basic.