[mythtv-users] Schedules Direct Download Failures

Mike Hodson mystica at gmail.com
Fri Feb 13 19:33:18 UTC 2015

On Feb 13, 2015 7:28 AM, "Robert Eden" <rmeden at gmail.com> wrote:

> Thanks for the heads up guys..
>
> I checked the SD DNS servers and I was still set up for a 5 minute TTL.
 I did that when the SD-DD transition was going on and DNS kept changing.
Things have been stable for a while.  I bumped TTL to 24 hours.  Not sure
if this will help in this case, but I don't see any harm.  I'm thinking it
may be too long (especially with caching), but what the heck.  If I know
changes are coming I'll shorten it.

> I also noticed that we only have 2 dns servers.  I'll add more
secondaries.

> Not sure if this will help your situation, but is probably a better
config anyway.

> Robert

My overnight job is a datacenter tech for a locally owned web-hosting
company. Our standard configs are always 24h TTL to maximize caching
potential.  Only when moving IPs do we set it lower.

Now knowing your DNS servers were providing slightly longer than a dynamic
DNS provider would for instant change-ability, I'm personally convinced
that a boatload of clients all at the precise second their NTP synced
clocks tell it, are making your 2 DNS servers cry for mercy.

I highly suggest a third party secondary DNS provider, with worldwide
server infrastructure. Your primaries now don't even need to face the world
as long as your secondaries know to allow updates from your internal
servers; and the internals just need to notify secondaries they have a
change and allow AXFRs to the secondaries.

If you don't plan on adding addresses or moving to a different IP, I'd even
suggest a longer TTL still.

Hope this helps!