[mythtv-users] Raspberry Pi Newbie Questions

Lawrence Rust lvr at softsystem.co.uk
Wed Dec 16 09:00:25 UTC 2015

On Tue, 2015-12-15 at 07:30 +1100, Jon Whitear wrote:
> > On 15 Dec 2015, at 6:54 AM, Lawrence Rust <lvr at softsystem.co.uk> wrote:
> >
> > On Mon, 2015-12-14 at 18:38 +0000, Jim C wrote:
> >> Based on all the discussion regarding the Raspberry Pi as a MythTV
> >> frontend I've decided to get one to try. Being totally new to the topic
> >> I have some real beginner-level questions - even after visiting the RPi
> >> page and the MythTV wiki.
> >
> > Glad to hear that you're about to take the plunge.
> >
> >> Which OS is "better" for this purpose? I've noticed discussion of
> >> OpenElec, Ubuntu Mate, Snappy Ubuntu, and Raspbian. Others?
> >
> > For an easy route to a DVR frontend then OpenElec.  However, if you want
> > to experiment then Ubuntu Mate or Raspbian.  The RPi images that I
> > posted recently were built for and tested on Raspbian.  Ubuntu Mate has
> > a more refined UI but is generally more resource hungry and hence
> > slower.
> >

> Does anyone have any straight forward instructions for installing the
> pre-build packages? My new Pi came with a NOOBS card, so it boots
> straight to an X desktop. Is installing MythTV is simple as (1) unpack
> the pre-built binaries to /home/pi, and (2) run the fronted?
> (Lawrence,  noticed somewhere in one of these threads that you run the
> frontend over an SSH connection first to set it up, then locally.) Is
> anything special required to set the output to 1080p and enable audio
> over HDMI?

Apologies for the delayed reply.  Instructions can be found here:
http://www.softsystem.co.uk/download/mythtv/mythtv_for_rpi.txt

Follow from: # Install MythTV on Raspberry Pi

I've found it easier to ssh into the RPi first to setup the FE, then run
the FE from the X desktop on the RPi.

The RPi should detect your native HDMI screen size.  You may need to
disable overscan:

sudo nano /boot/config.txt
  disable_overscan=1

This magic will change the audio output device:

amixer cset numid=3 2  # 0=auto 1=phono 2=hdmi

-- Lawrence Rust