[mythtv-users] Closed Captioning dropping out?

faginbagin mythtv at hbuus.com
Thu Dec 3 20:30:43 UTC 2015

On 12/3/2015 7:29 AM, Michael T. Dean wrote:
> On 12/02/2015 11:01 PM, Richard Shaw wrote:
>> I can't say exactly when it started happening but I've noticed
>> recently that sometime CC's drop out in the middle of watching a show
>> and I have to re-enable them.
>>
>> Anyone else have this issue?
>
> I had it for a while on a couple of channels (including Fox--can't
> remember which other).  It seemed to occur for me due to the way the
> broadcaster had encoded the video.  During the commercial break (when I
> let it play through the break--i.e. when I stepped away for a minute),
> something would happen that would disable captions and time stretch, and
> I'd have to re-enabled them.  I never got to the exact cause (let alone
> a fix) because it stopped happening (I'm assuming because of changes to
> encoding), but I have a strong suspicion it occurred when there was a
> change to refresh rate (i.e. from 720p60 to 720p30) or resolution (i.e.
> from 720p60 to 480i60) or something.  If it's something like that, the
> fix will involve changing MythTV's code.
>
> Mike

There was a commit a few months ago that fixed a problem I reported
where CCs would be turned off during a commercial break and the only way
to turn them back on was to stop playback and then start it again:
https://code.mythtv.org/trac/ticket/12054

However, I have noticed that, since that commit, sometimes CCs are
mysteriously turned off, but that I can turn them back on via my CC
toggle button. IOW I don't have to stop/start playback. For me, that's
preferable to the old behavior.

I have seen captions disappear after commercial breaks, both when I
allow them to play through and when I skip over them. I think it's more
rare to see them disappear in the middle of a program, usually after
jumping or ff/rew.

HTH,
Helen