[mythtv-users] Problems after upgrading frontend from Mythbuntu 12.04 to 14.04

Phill Edwards philledwards at gmail.com
Wed Dec 2 21:59:46 UTC 2015

> 1. You probably are running up against the change of the IR drivers
> into kernel drivers instead of user mode drivers inside lirc.  In
> which case, the best option is to use the kernel drivers (devinput),
> but that means a significant reconfiguration of your IR setup.  So
> what remote are you using?  Do all the keys work at startup, or only
> the arrow keys?

Only the arrow keys work. I'll take a look at your config and report back
later.

2. There have been a number of reports of problems in 14.04 with the
> video drivers becoming misconfigured when X sees a device change or a
> device that is off and not responding when asked for EDID data.  There
> are a number of ways of fixing this, but the easiest one I have seen
> is to stop the bit of software that detects device changes from
> running at startup.  Unfortunately, I can not remember its name, but
> if you scan the list archives you should find it.  Another option is
> to read the device's EDID data into a file and set up X to always get
> the EDID data from that file instead of from the device.  Again,
> details are available in the list archives.

Thanks for this advice. It provided me with a really good lead. For future
reference the software to disable is xfsettingsd as described at
http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/users/572682#572682.

As a side note, there is also a really good bug thread which people might
find useful at
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/nvidia-graphics-drivers-331/+bug/1308105.
The thread explores various ways of resolving the issue. It seems that the
problem was introduced in xfce4-settings somewhere between versions 4.11.0
and 4.11.2. The version of Mythbuntu I'm on uses xfce4-settings 4.11.2. In
answer to another question on this thread, it looks like the bug has been
worked on but there seems to be different views as to whether or not the
patch works. Presumably it will get fixed in xfce4-settings at some point
and this version will eventually get pulled into Mythbuntu.

As Stephen mentioned, disabling xfsettingsd is only one way of dealing with
the issue. From what I read disabling this process can cause other issues
such as 50Hz rather than 60Hz refresh rate. I figured the process must be
there for a reason so I went down the EDID path (which was the other option
you mentioned). There's an excellent step-by-step guide on how to do this
at http://kodi.wiki/view/Creating_and_using_edid.bin_via_xorg.conf. It says
to stop Kodi before following the process - what I did instead was stop X
by running:

$ sudo stop lightdm

and starting it again at the end by running:

$ sudo start lightdm

The good news is that this seems to have fixed the problem. I did it for an
Onkyo TX-NR626 receiver. If anyone wants my edid.bin file I'd be happy to
pass it on. But the Kodi instructions are quite straightforward and I
manged to do it with no problems. I felt this was a more robust way of
solving the problem rather than just disabling a process that must be
running for a good reason.