[mythtv-users] family acceptance test.

Joey Morris rjmorris.list at zoho.com
Sat Aug 15 12:09:37 UTC 2015

Hika van den Hoven <hikavdh at gmail.com> wrote on Sat, Aug 15, 2015 at 06:53:52AM +0200:
> users( for whom you do it in the end)

I think this highlights the fundamental difference of opinion in this thread.
For some reason, you have this notion that developers are obligated to satisfy
the users. No such obligation exists. End of story. Every developer is different
and is driven by different motivations. Some are committed to pleasing other
users. Some just want to write software that works for them, and if others find
it useful, then good for them. You can't force all developers into the bin that
suits you.

Hika van den Hoven <hikavdh at gmail.com> wrote on Sat, Aug 15, 2015 at 06:53:52AM +0200:
> always leave
> the old way workable. This way you leave people time to adapt. Also
> for whichever action is available in the UI always create at least
> three ways to accomplish it.

And now you're asking the developer to maintain three ways to do something, even
if he only uses one himself? Maintaining old code isn't trivial. Why would a
developer waste time on that when he could be working on something more useful
or enjoying his other hobbies or sleeping? If other developers find these
alternatives useful, they are of course welcome to maintain them.

For the record, the MythMusic developer did solicit ideas from the community
before the rewrite: http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/users/416301.
You can see how a design by committee approach might go.