[mythtv-users] HD-PVR2 support (please vote)

Gary Buhrmaster gary.buhrmaster at gmail.com
Sun Aug 9 22:16:14 UTC 2015

On Sun, Aug 9, 2015 at 8:45 PM, John P Poet <jppoet at gmail.com> wrote:
> For Devin to commit to this work, he would need to see enough interest to
> make it worth while.  How many of you would like to see robust support for
> the HD-PVR2 and improved support for other V4L2 devices?

I have no personal interest (my MSO is mostly copy freely), but I
might be interested in providing some (limited) funding for the good
of the community (and in an ideal world, everyone who uses MythTV
would considering doing so too even if they would not personally
benefit).  However, I am going to presume that the kernel code to
support the HD-PVR2 is not going to be able to be merged into
the LinuxTV core (and eventually the mainstream kernel), and
that likely means that it will have the usual kernel variant build
issues.  Is that correct?  Is the proposed solution a binary blob
for specific kernels (i.e. you must run RHEL kernel 3.x), or using
an interposer library (ala nvidia), or something like source distribution
with dkms?  I am guessing not the later (since the IP is the source),
but there might even be a fourth way I have no considered.  The
method of license management might also be of concern.

Based on past proof by example (and their likely demanding
commercial audience), I have no doubt the kernellabs drivers
are quite good.

But I had to admit to having a lot of doubt that the community
will be able to step up to provide the needed funding (writing
and maintaining code costs money).  I am hoping I am
completely and utterly wrong about this.

FD: I really really think Hauppauge should be funding
driver development for Linux, just like they do for Windows.
But they have chosen not to do so.  On that basis, I would
be very reluctant to ever purchase hardware from them.
It sends the wrong message.  I also understand that some
have made a set of choices that makes something like
the HD-PVR the end result.

Gary