[mythtv-users] A little help clarifying dummy tuners and HD ringbuffers

Tom Bishop bishoptf at gmail.com
Fri Aug 7 15:39:54 UTC 2015

On Fri, Aug 7, 2015 at 10:18 AM, Cody Hofstetter <codyhofstetter at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Used "Delete all capture cards" as advised. Re-added tuners, rebooted,
> still see reference to dummy cards which leads me to believe this is unique
> to Prime tuners. I believe in one of the posts I read, it has something to
> do with a multiplexing option that allows more than one record on a single
> tuner (which the Prime is not capable of when using as a CableCard device).
> My assumption is these dummy tuners take the place of this second
> multiplexing option after changing max recording settings to 1.
>
> I notice when changing channels that the live rewind will rewind to the
> beginning of viewing, not just the channel. For example, open LiveTV to
> channel 3, change to channel 5, use rewind function to beginning and it
> starts from channel 3, not 5 (aka the beginning of your viewing session).
> Wondering if it's the same for other users? This indicates to me that the
> RingBuf is not being reassigned upon channel change and when running
> "mythfrontend -v" it would seem the line "RingBuf
> (/var/lib/mythtv/livetv/1026_20150807150205.mpg): Not starting read ahead
> thread, already running" indicates to me this is the case.

Not sure what you are seeing but I hve 1 prime and 2 OTA homerun tuners
running mythbuntu and it was pretty easy peasy setting up.  I know when you
are adding the tuners I did by ID and made sure that I only changed the
setting from 2 tuners per tuner to 1 tuner, its on the second page when
adding the tuners to myth. It's detailed on the wiki about homerun tuners,
so kind of baffled by what issues you are seeing.