[mythtv-users] A little help clarifying dummy tuners and HD ringbuffers

Cody Hofstetter codyhofstetter at gmail.com
Fri Aug 7 15:18:44 UTC 2015

Used "Delete all capture cards" as advised. Re-added tuners, rebooted,
still see reference to dummy cards which leads me to believe this is unique
to Prime tuners. I believe in one of the posts I read, it has something to
do with a multiplexing option that allows more than one record on a single
tuner (which the Prime is not capable of when using as a CableCard device).
My assumption is these dummy tuners take the place of this second
multiplexing option after changing max recording settings to 1.

I notice when changing channels that the live rewind will rewind to the
beginning of viewing, not just the channel. For example, open LiveTV to
channel 3, change to channel 5, use rewind function to beginning and it
starts from channel 3, not 5 (aka the beginning of your viewing session).
Wondering if it's the same for other users? This indicates to me that the
RingBuf is not being reassigned upon channel change and when running
"mythfrontend -v" it would seem the line "RingBuf
(/var/lib/mythtv/livetv/1026_20150807150205.mpg): Not starting read ahead
thread, already running" indicates to me this is the case.