[mythtv-users] Cutlist editor and bookmarks in master

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Wed Aug 5 19:06:52 UTC 2015

On 08/05/2015 12:20 PM, Jim Stichnoth wrote:
> If I were still using mythtranscode these days (as opposed to just
> using cutlists and throwing marginally more disk space at the
> problem), I would try to change things so that (1) the original file
> is deleted in the same way regular recordings are deleted, i.e. keep
> around for N days before permanently deleting; (2) there is a UI for
> restoring an old version.  This is probably best done by cloning the
> original recording and its metadata, and using the existing
> delete-recording mechanism on the original.

This was actually part of the plan for the recordedfile schema changes,
which allow keeping multiple files for any given recording (metadata).
I'll admit that those changes won't be in any time soon, but once they
are, recording files will never be deleted after transcode, but put into
a recording group for eventual deletion (i.e. Deleted or possibly
Transcoded).  Then, the user would manually delete (or have his script
that's running mythtranscode delete) one of the files through the normal
"tell the backend to delete it" approach (i.e. using mythfrontend
manually or with a services request or whatever through a script), which
would put it in the Deleted recording group.

Ideally, in the meantime, users are running with:

Save original files after transcoding (globally)
If enabled and the transcoder is active, the original files will be
renamed to .old once the transcoding is complete.

enabled.  If so, they can use the filesystem to delete the
after-transcoding file and then rebuild the recording index to restore
the original and, if desired, re-run commercial detection.

If someone wants to make it more automatic for now, doing as you
suggested in 1 would probably be the best approach.  I don't think it's
worth building a UI to restore, though, since the UI will change/improve
with the recordedfile schema and since it's not too bad to tell a user
to go to Watch Recordings, MENU|Change Group Filter|Deleted and then
find the file and MENU|Storage Options|Change Recording Group to restore
the original and then delete the transcoded copy (but, yeah, that will
all be easier after recordedfile schema and related changes).

Mike