[mythtv-users] ATSC input of Pinnacle PCTV HD 800i not working

Gary Buhrmaster gary.buhrmaster at gmail.com
Sun Sep 28 03:54:43 UTC 2014

On Sun, Sep 28, 2014 at 1:02 AM, Devin Heitmueller
<dheitmueller at kernellabs.com> wrote:
> Ultimately this is probably a regression in the cx88 driver, possibly
> a result of some arbitrary refactoring somebody did to move buffers
> for I2C from using stack allocated memory (there were a number of such
> regressions in the last few months).  Probably makes sense to complain
> over on the linux-media mailing list.

Thanks for the info..  I sometimes wish there was a more serious
regression testing process for Linux core updates, especially with
various hardware (with, of course, someone probably having to
contribute the "lab" to do it; yes, I know this is not trivial to test
all the combinations, but it is also important, from one point of view).
I guess if one does not have the "latest and greatest" it is no longer
relevant, and no one cares (and if the vendor has EOLed the
product, probably even fewer). For better or worse, it is one of the
reasons I have recently tend to use network tuners that do not depend
on in-kernel modules (only on vendor libraries that have their own
set of issues and incompatibilities, some really ugly), says someone
who used to compile the ivtv kernel modules for every new kernel
(the "good" old days).

Oh well, at least Jacob has a place to go commiserate with
other unlucky users.

Thanks.