[mythtv-users] ATSC input of Pinnacle PCTV HD 800i not working

Devin Heitmueller dheitmueller at kernellabs.com
Sun Sep 28 01:02:38 UTC 2014

> I wonder if Haupaugge (who owns pinnacle) is updating
> the chips, and you need a new kernel driver (it would not
> be the first time for his board).

The board went EOL several years ago, and AFAIK they had no plans to
do a replacement (PCI is essentially a dead technology).

> What is the samsung chip number on the physical board?

Sure, if you the user can provide a photo of the board, that would be
useful to confirm nothing changed.  That said, I highly doubt this is
the case.

The "frontend initialization failed" suggests an issue probing the
s5h1411 (not the xc5000, since the driver probes the demod before the
tuner).  Also, we see the xc5000 responding in analog mode, suggesting
the tuner itself is alive and well.

Ultimately this is probably a regression in the cx88 driver, possibly
a result of some arbitrary refactoring somebody did to move buffers
for I2C from using stack allocated memory (there were a number of such
regressions in the last few months).  Probably makes sense to complain
over on the linux-media mailing list.

Devin

--
Devin J. Heitmueller - Kernel Labs