[mythtv-users] End of OTA?

Another Sillyname anothersname at googlemail.com
Mon Sep 8 16:56:29 UTC 2014

I have to say I'm always horrified when I look at the North American TV
distribution market as against the UK.

In the UK we (mostly) have a genuine national free service via DVB-T(2),
that provides a substantial number of decent channels, some cr*ppy filler
channels and a fair few radio stations. Admittedly we don't get as much
free sport as I'd like, but you don't have to pay any monthly subscriber
fee to watch these services, you do have to pay an annual TV licence fee
that covers a property so even if you have 30 receivers in the property
you're still good to go.  For phone and fast fibre optic broadband service
I pay about $35 pm and my mobile (cellphone) service costs me about $30 per
month but on two phones and with unlimited internet on both (giffgaff).

I've lived in NY and the West Coast and was horrified that even 10 years
ago in NY they wanted $120 pm just for phone and basic cable service
(admittedly more channels then the UK, but honestly a LOT more filler
channels) and my cell provider wanted a further $100 pm just for one line.

I always get a wry smile when people talk about competition in the American
cable and phone market when my own experience is more often then not that
in reality what you really have is local monopolies that scr*w you through
the floor (I used to love getting my monthly bills with all the fees,
surcharges and taxes added on that no-one in the billing department could
explain).

Ho Hum....rant over!