[mythtv-users] mount recordings

Hika van den Hoven hikavdh at gmail.com
Mon Sep 8 16:54:14 UTC 2014

Hoi Michael,

> On 08/23/2014 05:52 PM, Mike Perkins wrote:

>>> Thanks for spotting that
>>>
>> I would point out that /media/... directories are usually reserved for
>> dismountable media like USB sticks, CD-ROMs, DVDs and the like.

> Exactly.  http://www.pathname.com/fhs/pub/fhs-2.3.html#MEDIAMOUNTPOINT

>> I believe that hard disks would normally be mounted under /mnt/... if
>> not system media mounted as part of the normal tree.
>>

> Technically, /mnt is provided to allow the system administrator to
> temporarily mount file systems as needed.

> http://www.pathname.com/fhs/pub/fhs-2.3.html#MNTMOUNTPOINTFORATEMPORARILYMOUNT

> So, really, no application should be using any "temporary" file system
> in /mnt.

> IMHO, MythTV data belongs in /srv:

> http://www.pathname.com/fhs/pub/fhs-2.3.html#SRVDATAFORSERVICESPROVIDEDBYSYSTEM

> but it seems I'm the only one left in the world who really cares about
> the FHS.  :)

> Some distros put MythTV data in /var/lib (which is not in line with FHS:
> http://www.pathname.com/fhs/pub/fhs-2.3.html#VARLIBVARIABLESTATEINFORMATION
> ), but is much better than putting it in some user's (even a "mythtv"
> account's) home directory (which some people often try to do).

> Mike

You're fully right, but I doubt you will find a /srv tree on any
system but mainframes or big servers.
To me /home is broader then home directories. It is user related data
as opposed to system related data. Within that distinction I don't
want it in /var which is, if I am correct, meant for changeable
application data, which normally on a server is system related.
On my server I have in /home, next to a few home directories a public
directory, an ftp directory, a samba tree (for samba shares, samba
home directories and mail directories), a nfs tree for nfs shares
(which are mostly remounts from the samba tree), a backup tree (where
from users themselves can restore old file versions) and a recordings
tree for myth.
This way I have this all insulated from the system, with /home being a
separate volume itself with extra separate volumes where
needed/wanted. And volume management done through LVM with a separate
volume group (next to the system volume group) for all these volumes.
I guess most of that should be in /srv.

Tot mails,
  Hika                            mailto:hikavdh at gmail.com

"Zonder hoop kun je niet leven