[mythtv-users] mount recordings

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Mon Sep 8 15:50:09 UTC 2014

Exactly.  http://www.pathname.com/fhs/pub/fhs-2.3.html#MEDIAMOUNTPOINT

> I believe that hard disks would normally be mounted under /mnt/... if
> not system media mounted as part of the normal tree.

Technically, /mnt is provided to allow the system administrator to
temporarily mount file systems as needed.

http://www.pathname.com/fhs/pub/fhs-2.3.html#MNTMOUNTPOINTFORATEMPORARILYMOUNT

So, really, no application should be using any "temporary" file system
in /mnt.

IMHO, MythTV data belongs in /srv:

http://www.pathname.com/fhs/pub/fhs-2.3.html#SRVDATAFORSERVICESPROVIDEDBYSYSTEM

but it seems I'm the only one left in the world who really cares about
the FHS.  :)

Some distros put MythTV data in /var/lib (which is not in line with FHS:
http://www.pathname.com/fhs/pub/fhs-2.3.html#VARLIBVARIABLESTATEINFORMATION
), but is much better than putting it in some user's (even a "mythtv"
account's) home directory (which some people often try to do).

Mike