[mythtv-users] MythTV Install

Janusz S. Bien jsbien at mimuw.edu.pl
Mon Sep 8 14:29:17 UTC 2014

Quote/Cytat - Richard Brook <byronf16 at gmail.com> (Mon 08 Sep 2014
04:10:58 PM CEST):

> This is becoming very frustrating.

I compeltely agree. I spend almost the whole weekend try to install
MythTV on two virtual machines (I'm afraid to touch my "production"
version) and I am still very confused.

> I just did a clean install of Ubuntu
> 14.04, again. I go to the Software Center to do a clean install of MythTV.
> I select MythTV Backend

Why not mythtv?

> and the install begins.

[...]

I think you get better feedback about the installation process with
aptitude or apt-get (but I'm a Debian man not familiar with Ubuntu
Software Center)

> The other fields are Ping Test - It is checked. Port: 3306. Database Name
> mythconverg. User mythtv. Password mythtv.

I guess you mean mythtv-setup

> If I click on Next it takes me to Database screen 2. I click on Finish and
> it takes me right back to the Select Language screen. I have to cancel out
> as I am in a loop.

This seems a 'standard' behavious when the connection to the database
doesn't work.

> This has happened to me before, this week where I did a Clean install of
> both OS and MythTV with the same scenario. When I first installed 14.04 and
> MythTV, a month ago, I had no problems with the install. Could there be
> changes in the Ubuntu Updates or in the MythTV Install that are causing
> these issues? By the way, I did the Clean install today. I was never asked
> to create an Admin password for the database.

Admin in mysql is called root, try to login as root

mysql -uroot -p

(you will be asked for a password which perhaps is empty)

Try also mysql -umythtv  -pmythtv

I guess at this stage you would be refused.

Then log again as root and do what I wrote already yesterday

GRANT ALL PRIVILEGES ON *.* TO 'mythtv'@'localhost';

Logout and try again

mysql -umythtv  -pmythtv

I think this time you will be accepted.

If yes, then probably mythtv-setup will start to work. If not, then we
will just know more about the situation...

Best regards and good luck

Janusz

--
Prof. dr hab. Janusz S. Bień -  Uniwersytet Warszawski (Katedra
Lingwistyki Formalnej)