[mythtv-users] MythTV Install

Richard Brook byronf16 at gmail.com
Mon Sep 8 14:10:58 UTC 2014

On Mon, Sep 8, 2014 at 6:04 AM, Janusz S. Bien <jsbien at mimuw.edu.pl> wrote:

> Quote/Cytat - Mike Perkins <mikep at randomtraveller.org.uk> (Mon 08 Sep
> 2014 11:49:23 AM CEST):
>
>  You do know that backports /is/ testing? Just a thought.
>>

> So in theory they should behave in the same way...
>
> Next week I try to make a fresh install get a better understanding what is
> going on.
>
> Regards
>
> Janusz
>
> --
> Prof. dr hab. Janusz S. Bień -  Uniwersytet Warszawski (Katedra
> Lingwistyki Formalnej)
> Prof. Janusz S. Bień - University of Warsaw (Formal Linguistics Department)
> jsbien at uw.edu.pl, jsbien at mimuw.edu.pl, http://fleksem.klf.uw.edu.pl/~
> jsbien/

This is becoming very frustrating. I just did a clean install of Ubuntu
14.04, again. I go to the Software Center to do a clean install of MythTV.
I select MythTV Backend and the install begins. About half way through the
install, the Software Center window darkens to a grey and freezes. I wait
and finally I click on the X and I get an error message that the app has
stopped working and Close or Wait. I close and then rerun Software Center.
I see the status bars for MythTV Frontend and Backend are about half
finished. I wait until they are finished. I run MythTV Backend. It informs
me that I need to be in the MythTV group and I indicate OK. I am informed
that I must Logout and Login. I do so. Once I Login, I run MythTV Backend,
again and I am taken to the window where it asks me what language I want. I
choose English and hit Save. The next screen indicates that it cannot
connect to the Database. Asterisk indicates the fields that need to be
changed. Hostname has the Asterisk before it.

The other fields are Ping Test - It is checked. Port: 3306. Database Name
mythconverg. User mythtv. Password mythtv.

If I click on Next it takes me to Database screen 2. I click on Finish and
it takes me right back to the Select Language screen. I have to cancel out
as I am in a loop. I checked the Config.xml file and here are the contents;

<Configuration>
  <LocalHostName>my-unique-identifier-goes-here</LocalHostName>
  <Database>
    <PingHost>1</PingHost>
    <Host>localhost</Host>
    <UserName>mythtv</UserName>
    <Password>mythtv</Password>
    <DatabaseName>mythconverg</DatabaseName>
    <Port>3306</Port>
  </Database>
  <WakeOnLAN>
    <Enabled>0</Enabled>
    <SQLReconnectWaitTime>0</SQLReconnectWaitTime>
    <SQLConnectRetry>5</SQLConnectRetry>
    <Command>echo 'WOLsqlServerCommand not set'</Command>
  </WakeOnLAN>
</Configuration>

This has happened to me before, this week where I did a Clean install of
both OS and MythTV with the same scenario. When I first installed 14.04 and
MythTV, a month ago, I had no problems with the install. Could there be
changes in the Ubuntu Updates or in the MythTV Install that are causing
these issues? By the way, I did the Clean install today. I was never asked
to create an Admin password for the database.

This is very frustrating