[mythtv-users] upgrading to kenel 3.16? (PCTV 292e triplestick    supported)

Andre Newman mythtv-list at dinkum.org.uk
Mon Sep 1 09:31:29 UTC 2014

On 31 Aug 2014, at 22:38, Mike Perkins <mikep at randomtraveller.org.uk> wrote:

> I've been using a T290e for two years now on a stock Debian Wheezy server with no problems at all. Don't overlook other factors like location, heat, cable / connector quality, signal strength and so on.

This is interesting, I’ve been trying to get this running stably for some time.

Location is in free air using the short extension cable.

It’s not getting hot.

The cabling and connectors are very high grade, well screened, I work with satellite uplink guys so I tend to use their offcuts for home stuff.

Signal strength is very good, it’s a communal system I specified, in fact I’ve tried testing with attenuators in case there is too much signal.

I also used the same T290e over at a friend’s place to capture the BBC Ultra HD tests from the World Cup and Commonwealth Games. It was used on a laptop running Ubuntu 14.0.4 built specially for the task and I had to reboot three times over the 4 or 5 week period of those two events. This was using TVHeadend to record as MythTV doesn’t know about H265 yet so I can’t blame MythTV code triggering a problem.

I’ve discovered that swapping USB ports until I find one that gets it’s own interrupt makes it more reliable and it was even better with none of the other USB ports used but that’s not really a viable solution.

The only other discovery I had was that the stock 12.0.4 kernel (3.2.something) gave glitchy recordings, upgrading to the HWE kernel 3.5.something fixed that and also the current 12.0.4.5 Trusty HWE kernel is ok too, 3.13.0-32.

Mike what USB chip does your system have, I think that might be a big factor? Mine is an Intel 82801JI (ICH10).

Andre