[mythtv-users] MythTV needs to listen on 2 ports

Joseph Fry joe at thefrys.com
Fri Oct 31 19:34:22 UTC 2014

> Tremayne,
>
> Your confusion is what I have said is my long term goal has been all
> along.  I don’t have the funding to purchase the hardware needed to make
> that happen at this time.  My Layer3 switch is broken down into segments
> already, but Its at capacity and I need another switch to add another
> network.  Hence the need for more funds.  That right there will run $500
> for a decent used 24 port stackable cisco.  All I was looking to do was get
> this up an running an then purchase some hardware to implement what I want
> after the holiday.
>

> I am just totally taken by surprise that MythTV cannot listen to more than
> 1 Network.  Which until Raymond explanation made absolutely no sense.  At
> this point I have given up on this.  An PLEX will be my goto answer for
> serving media to my networks as its proven to not be so limited.  Just
> means no LiveTV.  I will revisit this as MythTV develops an figures out how
> to deal with multiple networks.

Why would you need to purchase another switch?  You are simply assigning
the switch ports that the server is already using to to a new VLAN.  In
fact, you would actually be freeing up a port on the switch (unless you
decided to bond the nics)

As far as not being able to listen on more than one interface... while it
is unusual, you are the first person I have ever seen complain of it.  The
fact is, multihoming a server is rarely a good idea.  Sure, most
enterprises have multiple networks connected to each server, but usually
different things are listening on different networks; for example a web app
server may be connected to a management VLAN, a backup VLAN, a SAN, a
database VLAN, and the webserver VLAN all with unique physical nics...
however most of the  services only listen on one adapter.