[mythtv-users] OT DVD ripping software

Simon Hobson linux at thehobsons.co.uk
Wed Oct 29 08:03:08 UTC 2014

Mike Holden <mythtv at mikeholden.org> wrote:

> In my view, there are too many variables in the layout of a disk to
> just "rip it automagically".
>
> For a movie disk, there are often several variations, one including
> deleted scenes for example, and sometimes different "copies" that
> enable/disable subtitles, or choose a specific soundtrack. For a
> drama disk, you want to rip all the titles and get them in the right
> order and number them correctly.

Or, you just image the disk into a file and get the equivalent of popping a DVD in the drive and letting it play. Of course it does mean you get all the carp, non-skippable insults (you're a pirate bits), and trailers for upcoming releases that have been out for years.

For some, that's all that's needed, and can be automated relatively easily (other than naming it). Suits the non-techical family members*, and then you've an image stored on hard disk for faster conversion later if you want.
* I know my partner wouldn't consider anything more difficult than switching on the DVD player and putting a disk in.