[mythtv-users] OT DVD ripping software

Mike Holden mythtv at mikeholden.org
Wed Oct 29 04:55:05 UTC 2014

Simon Hobson wrote:
>> Swanseasurfing wrote:
>>> Did anybody integrate an "import disc" menu item into MythTV
>>> (e.g. that
>>
>>   I would not bother with something like that. The key advantage
>> of something
>> like MythTV which is built on top of something like Linux which is
>> ultimately
>> just Unix is that "it's all just files".
>>
>>   You can do what you need to do outside of MythTV and then let it
>> deal with
>> the results you've created.
>
> That's fine for most of us, but a lot of people would like a system
> where they pop a disk in the slot under the TV and "shortly
> afterwards" are able to watch it. The WAF for such a function would
> be a lot higher than any "well you have to go to this other system,
> run some magic incantations, and eventually you'll be able to watch
> the disk" setup.

In my view, there are too many variables in the layout of a disk to
just "rip it automagically".

For a movie disk, there are often several variations, one including
deleted scenes for example, and sometimes different "copies" that
enable/disable subtitles, or choose a specific soundtrack. For a
drama disk, you want to rip all the titles and get them in the right
order and number them correctly. All of these require human
intervention to have a quick look at the contents and decide what
needs ripping and to which file.

I have written a quick frontend bash script for HandbrakeCLI which
sets various quality settings, chooses appropriate audio and
subtitle options and then rips the specified title, and then a
frontend to the frontend which performs the same action several
times over for a drama/comedy series disk.

Better to intervene to rip the disk, and then tell MythTV to
assimilate it into MythVideo, IMHO.
--
Mike Holden