[mythtv-users] HD Transcoder to .mkv?

Steve Boyer steveboyer85 at gmail.com
Fri Oct 24 14:46:49 UTC 2014

> Date: Tue, 21 Oct 2014 11:14:11 -0600
> From: scott at tbwifi.ca
> To: mythtv-users at mythtv.org
> Subject: Re: [mythtv-users] HD Transcoder to .mkv?
>
> Yes, sorry I am aware that I need an h.264 codec within a .mkv container
> for XBMC to play via ATV2 720p resolution.
>
> What is the latest information for how to automate this Handbrake script
> into a mythtv user job and what arguments are required?

Sorry if this has been answered, but i thought I'd throw my $0.02 in. When
I setup my MythTV setup, I ran into this same problem. I modified one of
the scripts from the MythTV wiki to update it with some more modern options
(CRF single pass opposed to a double pass is the big one).

http://gomezdevelopment.wordpress.com/2014/01/14/mythtv-x264-mp4-compression-scripts/
</shameless plug>

One person asked about modifying the script further to delete the original
recording. Would be worth checking out.

> I?d like to have the ?transcoded? file available to the frontends after
> completion.   Perhaps even automate the deletion of the original mpeg
> version.

I don't actually use the frontend to play the videos. Most time I use the
built in UPnP media server.

> Thank you
> Scott

Steve