[mythtv-users] mythtv dropping mysql???

Paul Harrison mythtv at sky.com
Sun Oct 19 09:43:17 UTC 2014

On 19/10/14 02:01, Brian J. Murrell wrote:
> On Sun, 2014-10-19 at 08:25 +0800, James Linder wrote:
>> But not so embedded that mythweb can’t work. I’ve never used sqlite but it does seem to look like a good and an easy solution. Presumably two processes can access the DB file, one in read-only mode.
> http://www.sqlite.org/lockingv3.html is probably what you are looking
> for.
>
> Having been lurking this thread I must also express concern over a
> database which cannot even be peered into.
>
> I have some periodic database query (i.e. reading-only to report)
> processes, many that I run nightly for example that provide me with
> information in an interrupt driven manner (i.e. e-mails of reports),
> rather than forcing me to poll (i.e. firing up the FE or using MythWeb
> to actively browse for the information I am looking for) using tedious,
> time-consuming interfaces.
>
> On a daily basis, each morning in my e-mail, (for example) I get a
> report of:
>        * all of the "Pilot" episodes found by the Pilots and Premieres
>          power search that are not yet scheduled and active
>        * the amount of space left on each of my storage groups -- which
>          amounts to the amount of "Deleted", "LiveTV", etc. programs on
>          each storage group
>
> just to name a couple.  The first has obvious benefits.  The second
> alerts me to the point in time where MythTV is going to start expiring
> things that have not yet been deleted, to make room for new recordings.
> It also advises me as to how I can re-balance from a storage group that
> has few Deleted recordings to one that has lots.
>
> The idea of not being able to do this in a very well known/understood
> language like SQL is worrisome.
>
> When the embedded DB and associated DB server API (I don't recall what
> it was being called earlier on in this thread) comes along, I hope
> bindings to several popular languages will be available.  Moreover, I
> hope a "read-only" SQL "passthrough" will be available so that everyone
> that has investment in reporting from the mythconverg DB in MySQL can
> maintain their investment with little retooling.
>
> Surely allowing read-only SQL passthrough would not have any downside
> would it?
>
> b.

I'm not directing this at you in particular this just happens to be a
typical example.

i think some people are reading into what devs say and assuming
the worse. Has any dev said any of this will be impossible? OK you
might have to do it through the services API and not use mysql
directly but there is no reason that can't be done.

I don't think users understand what impact all this negativity has
on a project that is struggling to keep a float :(

Last word from me it's just not worth the hassle.

Paul H.