[mythtv-users] hdpvr rmmod hanging

Ken Truesdale kentruesdale at gmail.com
Sat Oct 18 20:19:49 UTC 2014

I'm new to the HD-PVR and have recently installed it on my working backend.
It is mostly working now - I can tune live TV using it and recordings fire
off a channel change.  I've got a problem with my channel change script when
starting a recording (which doesn't happen with live TV) but I should be
able to figure that out on my own.  But I also see that the HD-PVR sometimes
doesn't stop recording.  The show it tried to record (but recorded a
different program instead due to the aforementioned script issue) lasted a
half hour and MythTV seems to have correctly stopped recording at the half
hour mark even though the HD-PVR didn't get the notification to stop
recording.

To try and debug it, I thought about looking into a script to reload the
hdpvr module.  Seemed simple enough and there are script examples out there.
But when I try typing the following in the command line:

     sudo modprobe -r -v hdpvr

the command just hangs there indefinitely showing:

    rmmod hdpvr

I can kill the sudo process that kicked off the modprobe but I can't kill
the modprobe process.  The only way I have found to clear the problem is a
reboot and even then, during shutdown, the process won't die and hangs the
computer on the waiting for processes to end step requiring me to push and
hold the power button.  Nasty.  Clearly something is very wrong somewhere.

This is what I see in dmesg before trying the modprobe -r:

    [   15.456135] hdpvr 1-3:1.0: firmware version 0x1e dated Mar  7 2012
08:25:15

    [   15.966780] hdpvr 1-3:1.0: device now attached to video0

    [   15.966841] usbcore: registered new interface driver hdpvr

And this is what I see from dmesg after the modprobe -r starts (and then
hangs):

    [   15.456135] hdpvr 1-3:1.0: firmware version 0x1e dated Mar  7 2012
08:25:15

    [   15.966780] hdpvr 1-3:1.0: device now attached to video0

    [   15.966841] usbcore: registered new interface driver hdpvr

    [  846.134280] usbcore: deregistering interface driver hdpvr

    [  846.134308] hdpvr 1-3:1.0: device video0 disconnected

If I don't plug in the USB connection to the HD-PVR when I boot up, the
hdpvr module doesn't get loaded, of course.  So I can modprobe hdpvr and it
loads fine.  Then I can modprobe -r no problem.  The inability to remove the
hdpvr module could be related to the way the device keeps recording
sometimes.  So I'm hopeful that fixing one will fix the other.  But I'm out
of ideas about what to check or what could be the source of the problem.

I am running Mythbuntu so my setup for the HD-PVR was pretty easy.  Mostly
just plugged it in and set it up in the Backend setup.  A few extra steps to
enable the IR flashing.  And I did start with updating the firmware to the
latest using a Windows computer.

I have checked my BIOS settings for USB settings.  I don't have much in
there for options (6 year-old ASUS BYO) and what is there seems to things
set appropriately, at least as far I can tell.

Anybody have suggestions on where to look to chase down a problem like this
(or these, as the case may be)?  Thanks!!

Ken.