[mythtv-users] mythtv dropping mysql???

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Fri Oct 17 01:42:48 UTC 2014

On 10/16/2014 08:21 PM, Michael Watson wrote:
> I disagree with the "Windows" style, different server for each service.
> The idea of embedding the DB (like many Windows apps) is a step
> backward in my view.  The modular aspect of Myth is one of its stand
> out features in my view.

Who ever said an embedded DB wouldn't be modular?  It will actually be
/more/ modular than the current design.

>   If I wish/need to run the SQL service on another machine, I can.

If you wish to run the embedded database/data server on another machine,
you'll be able to.

>   If I require more than 1 backend, I can, etc.

If you require more than 1 backend, you'll still be able to run more
than 1 backend.  As a matter of fact, it's likely that when we have the
embedded database, we'll have modularized what's now one monolithic
backend so that you can run only those pieces you want/need on any given
system (i.e. run data server here, run scheduler here, run recorders
there and there and there, run job queues there, run media servers there
and there and there and there, ...)

>      I have seen Windows Servers with 6+ instances of MSSQL running,
> because each different app installed its own instance of MSSQL Express
> and no ability to use a full licensed version if available. Do we
> really need to go down this backup & support hell path with MythTV??

This won't be instances of MySQL running on the system, it will be
embedded MySQL running as part of a MythTV application.  If you run
other applications that have embedded MySQL, it will be more similar to
running multiple applications with embedded SQLite database on your
system (as you do now), such as Firefox and Thunderbird and Dropbox and
...--or for you Apple users, Apple Mail and Safari and Aperture and
iTunes.  (Or even in multiple Android applications and multiple iOS
applications--and if a resource-constrained, ARM-powered device can do
this type of thing, your PC you choose to use for running the MythTV
data server will be able to.)

> What actual advantages does switching to an embedded DB Server provide?

It forces everyone--developers of MythTV /and/ everyone else--to access
the data correctly, via requests to a data server, which can enforce
data integrity constraints, rather than using direct database access
because embedded MySQL does not support multi-client/network access.
This means that people will be forced to finally do things
properly--instead of just hacking some SQL script to fix up their
channels or running some quick SQL to modify some stuff in their
database, someone will have to write the code to allow /anyone/ to fix
up their channels easily or modify whatever stuff needs modifying in the
database.

IMHO, the biggest problem with providing easy access to the underlying,
internal-use data is that it provides a means by which people can
selfishly solve problems for themselves rather than helping to solve the
problem for everyone.

That said, the 2 main reasons I'm for it are 1) because someone
shouldn't have to be a DBA to install/configure/run/maintain MythTV and
2) it will encourage us (the developers, as well as users) to make the
tools to do things that need to be done.  (So, rather than lazy
solutions like SQL scripts that set up all the channels for users in the
UK after broadcasters shuffle/rename things, we'll have built-in tools
that make it easy to set up the channels, etc.)

Mike