[mythtv-users] mythtv dropping mysql???

Michael Watson michael at thewatsonfamily.id.au
Fri Oct 17 00:21:01 UTC 2014

On 17/10/2014 6:37 AM, Simon Hobson wrote:
> Thomas Mashos <thomas at mashos.com> wrote:
>
>> That's just it though, when you take it internal you don't need to
>> consider different use cases as the only use case for the DB is
>> MythTV. The only considerations you need to take into account are
>> hardware.
> I'm also talking about "appliances" where the only DB use is MythTV. But I'm not talking about use cases as in how many DBs you run, but how someone uses the Myth system. If you can tune an internal DB "just like that" for all use cases then you can also programatically tune an external DB - the process is the same regardless of whether it's internal or external.
>
> Just think of all the variables :
> Number and type of tuners for starters, then the number and type of channels, volume of recording rules, volume of recordings and previously recorded.
> Then frontends.
> And schedule grabbers which have variable demands on the DB.
>
> But ultimately it's for the devs to decide.

I disagree with the "Windows" style, different server for each service.
The idea of embedding the DB (like many Windows apps) is a step backward
in my view.  The modular aspect of Myth is one of its stand out features
in my view.  If I wish/need to run the SQL service on another machine, I
can.  If I require more than 1 backend, I can, etc.
      I have seen Windows Servers with 6+ instances of MSSQL running,
because each different app installed its own instance of MSSQL Express
and no ability to use a full licensed version if available. Do we really
need to go down this backup & support hell path with MythTV??

What actual advantages does switching to an embedded DB Server provide?