[mythtv-users] A Forest - theme disappeared??

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Wed Oct 15 23:08:02 UTC 2014

On 10/15/2014 06:36 PM, PlainFaceBoy wrote:
> Hi - I recently tried an upgrade to 14.04, but have now reinstalled
> 12.04 and restored by mythtv 0.27 fixes - I'm all working and happy
> again!
> (Problem was mainly around Nvidia drivers and fact that I use two
> cloned screen - VGA and HDMI, but in trying to fix that Mythtv broke
> as well)...anyway, when I reinstalled everything, the 'A Forest' theme
> had disappeared from the list of themes.
> Is there a way to add it back into the mythtv list?
> ....or failing that a way to install it manually?
> Thanks.

The list of available themes for use in a given version of MythTV is
based on which themes were said to have been updated for that version of
MythTV by the theme author.  If A Forest isn't in the list of themes
available for download (and make sure you use the menu to request a
refresh), then either it wasn't said to have been updated for your
MythTV version or your system is misconfigured (and, for example, is
unable to write the file that contains the information about
downloadable themes--though misconfiguration should be rather obvious
because you'd have almost no themes listed as available).  If you were
using the theme with 0.27 before your rebuild and it hasn't been
"certified" for 0.27, it only seemed like it worked because you had it
downloaded/installed on your system before you upgraded, but that means
you were using an outdated (possibly broken-for-the-new-MythTV-version)
theme.

You always have the option of manually downloading and installing the
theme--and then picking up all the pieces that result when things break
(and ensuring you don't waste time reporting "bugs" that are due to your
using an outdated theme).  Many of the themes for MythTV are available
at https://github.com/MythTV-Themes , so you can download and install
the theme.

Note that I'm not saying that A Forest isn't updated for 0.27 (I don't
know which versions it's been updated to support), though the last
branches for it are 0.24 and 0.25.  It may be that Freddy no longer has
time to work on updating it.  That said, it does seem that he's looking
for help:  http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Theme_Teams .  You could be that
help...  :)

Mike