[mythtv-users] poor quality VAAPI scaled output

Hamish Moffatt hamish at cloud.net.au
Mon Oct 13 11:00:41 UTC 2014

I've just set up a new frontend, which is using Intel Haswell 4000
graphics (it's an ASUS Chromebox with Celeron).

I tried the VAAPI output, which results in impressively low CPU usage
for 1080 video decoding. But broadcast TV here is 576p and the quality
of the scaled output from the VAAPI profile is awful - there's terrible
scaling artifacts. My output is fixed at 1920x1080.

Is this a known issue with VAAPI - should I construct a more advanced
profile that doesn't use it for < 1080 videos? The CPU can decode lower
resolution videos ok without it.

Hamish