[mythtv-users] Running MythTV on CentOS

Richard Shaw hobbes1069 at gmail.com
Mon Oct 6 16:39:09 UTC 2014

On Mon, Oct 6, 2014 at 11:17 AM, John Pilkington <J.Pilk at tesco.net> wrote:

> On 06/10/14 16:50, Kirk Bocek wrote:
>

>> RPMFusion only has 26.1 and nothing for CentOS 7:
>>
>> http://download1.rpmfusion.org/free/el/updates/6/x86_64/
>> repoview/index.html
>>
>> Kind of a dead feel. I still think it was another repo though.

The problem with EL 6 is that it doesn't have the required version of QT so
it's currently not possible to build anything newer within RPM Fusion as it
has the same policies as EPEL/Fedora to not replace packages that are
provided in other repos. That is not the case with ATRpms but they seem to
be having other issues.

> Yes, rpmfusion does seem rather inactive, but Richard Shaw, who has built
> their most recent Myth packages, posted this yesterday

I'm not privy to the details, I'm just a packager on RPM Fusion but I know
there is a lot of behind the scenes work being done to upgrade the
infrastructure to match more with what Fedora is doing.

Currently, RPM Fusion uses cvs instead of git for scm repo and plague
instead of koji for builds. There's no release mechanism like bodhi for
Fedora, it's done manually.

We'll likely see RPM Fusion branch for EPEL 7 after the infrastructure is
updated.

> http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/dev/576997#576997
>
> "Out of curiosity I went to the trouble to figure out what packages are
> missing for EPEL 7 and was finally able to build MythTV binary packages."
>
> At present I have only have i686 and I believe RHEL comes in x86_64 only...

Yes, while EPEL 6 had x86_64 and i686, EPEL 7 is x86_64 only (at least on
RPM Fusion). I think Fedora EPEL 7 also had ppc64 but that's probably not
terribly useful for most people on this list.

Richard