[mythtv-users] Star Ratings no longer inserted

glen glenb at glenb.us
Sun Nov 30 14:58:29 UTC 2014

On Sun, Nov 30, 2014 at 5:05 AM, Michael T. Dean
<mtdean at thirdcontact.com> wrote:
> On 11/29/2014 06:18 PM, Karl Newman wrote:
>> On Sat, Nov 29, 2014 at 2:38 PM, glen wrote:
>>
>>> I am in the U.S. and *do not use schedules direct*. I use
>>> webgrabplus
>>> with tvguide.com. I have been more than happy with the listings and
>>> particularly the movie descriptions. the ratings are from imdb and
>>> take the
>>> form like this in the xml file:
>>> </star-rating>
>>>      <star-rating system="imdb">
>>>        <value>2.2/5</value>
>>>      </star-rating>
>>> i am using mythbuntu updates repo, 27.4 and do updates pretty much
>>> immediately. system is mythbuntu on precise.
>>>
>>> i use a manual command with mythfilldatabse to directly put the xml
>>> file
>>> to the listings. this has worked fine until today i noticed none of
>>> the
>>> movies any longer had the star ratings.
>>>
>>> i believe, but am not certain, that is the result of the update
>>> from a day
>>> or two ago. i have already restored a prior database and as soon as
>>> i run
>>> mythfilldatabase the star ratings are gone. everything else in
>>> terms of
>>> listings is fine.
>>>
>>> if someone either has or can point me to a way to get the previous
>>> version
>>> before this last update i would really appreciate it.
>>>
>>> i also tested with mc2xml data (which i know is discouraged), and
>>> the same
>>> result, no star ratings in the listings.
>>>
>>> i did read somewhere on the list recently that there was a change
>>> to the
>>> parsing file of xmltv files and i think maybe that could be it, or
>>> possibly
>>> i have some other problem that just happenned on my system but i
>>> know my
>>> restored database was good.
>>>
>>> i would like to revert to the packages as they existed before the
>>> very
>>> last download and test if anyone has them or knows of a way to do
>>> it.
>>>
>>> thank you.
>>>
>>> Not sure you're going to get a lot of support for what appears to
>>> be a
>> screen scraper which likely violates the terms of use of the website,
>> especially when there's a high quality, *supported* data source at a
>> more-than-reasonable cost available...
>
> Yeah. Last time you mentioned webgrabplus, I responded with
> information that its use in the US for anything other than Voice of
> America EPG (from voanews.com) would be a violation of ToS because it
> seemed to only support voanews.com and zap2it.com (
> http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/users/566029#566029 ).
>
> You say that you're using tvguide.com, though the webgrabplus.com
> documentation says that only voanews.com and zap2it.com are supported
> for the US ( http://www.webgrabplus.com/epg-channels#stc_3C ).
> [...]

thanks mike, i did not realize it was a toc violation. their site
states that through robots you would be informed if there was a
violation;

http://webgrabplus.com/faq#faq_568

also elsewhere in their forums there was contact with tvguide directly
from the software author to get it working to begin with.

i did use sd for a while and had trouble because i use 4 different
inputs each with different channels, qam, over the air, hdpvr and
firewire. and only two sources on sd, ota and time warner.  so i wound
up using xmltv utility grabber to get single data files and run
miythfilldatabase with the 4 different files. each separate. probably
next week in my area the qam goes away as time warner is encrypting
everything.

none of this changes the fact that when running mythfilldatabase with
an individual file with a properly constructed xmltv data file the star
ratings all become 0, which i believe is a result of the change
implemented in the last update but i was trying to find a way to check
without compiling a whole new backend without the last change to test
it. i have a system on a small ssd so i remove the archive files in
/var/cache/apt so did not have the prior file set before the update.

i'll have a look at the new sd methods and see if it will fit with what
i use.