[mythtv-users] Comcast and Cablecard CGMS copy-once problem

Gary Buhrmaster gary.buhrmaster at gmail.com
Sat Nov 29 22:20:14 UTC 2014

On Sat, Nov 29, 2014 at 8:14 PM, Peter Bennett (cats22)
<cats22 at comcast.net> wrote:
> I did post details in the forum that it was a CGMS flag issue and
> related to a cablecard firmware upgrade, but that seems to have been
> forgotten or misunderstood.

Not surprising.  The Comcast CSRs on the forums are not likely
to be the ones that understand the bits/bytes.

> I don't think I have the knowledge or perseverance to do as you
> describe. I have not had luck trying to escalate at Comcast before. This
> would likely have to be during business hours and I cannot really take
> hours off work for this.

Understood.  For what it is worth, Ceton, and SiliconDust
are still trying (at least last I knew) to get this entire issue
addressed upstream.  It should be noted that changes to
specifications can take many months (and years) to get
resolved and rolled out, even if the change is what you want.
And, perhaps, the 1.5.3.1201 firmware fixes it (but again,
that is absolutely completely unknown).

> Maybe my approach will be to let the USA Network, Syfy channel and
> others know that they are losing a viewer and likely will lose more if
> this upgrade is propagated to other areas. It may be that they are the
> ones setting the CGMS flags or else they may have more influence on
> Comcast than I do.

Perhaps.  But unless you reduce your subscription level to
"basic basic" (or whatever Comcast calls it in your franchise)
you are still paying for the channels, even if you cannot view
them using your preferred solution.

The problem is 99% of the people can view them just fine.
The CableCo STB works fine, a TiVo or WMC works fine
(they use "protected path" to allow restricted content).
Those using OCUR receivers that support DTCP-IP (and
a complaint player, like the PS3 or some more recent
TV's and BluRay players) work fine.  Only those "crazies"
using open source applications can not view them.

If every Comcast customer that ran MythTV dropped
Comcast the loss of customers would be invisible in the
usual customer churn.  "We" have no influence because
"we" are actually "few".