[mythtv-users] ratpoison/mythfrontend issues.

Rob Verduijn rob.verduijn at gmail.com
Tue Nov 18 08:40:01 UTC 2014

Hello all,

I've recently reinstalled my mythtv living room frontend.
It's now running fedora with kdm as display manager and kde as a window
manager.

However, I've find that these take some time before I see my familiar
mythtv screen. (no surprise here)

So I tried to set the display manager to mythfrontend (used to work fine
for me) , and I can see it start in the logs but after a while the screen
stays black.
I figured that it could be caused because this is a non-supported setup, so
I tried adding ratpoison as a window manager, but the screen still stays
black.

This was the fully automated login and mythtv startup.
When I do a manual login into ratpoison desktop.
Launch an xterm and start mythfrontend, and it works.

This makes me think this is not related to mythfrontend without window
manager, but rather an option used to launch mythfrontend.

Anybody who has run into this and managed to get it to work ?
I would like to improve my boot time, it seems to take forever when you are
waiting for it.
(for real its about 18(ish) seconds untill the mythtv menu appears)

Rob