[mythtv-users] Backend would not wake up on time.

R Kannan rk111810 at gmail.com
Sun Nov 16 16:43:41 UTC 2014

On 11/16/2014 08:35 AM, R Kannan wrote:

> Hi
>
> Thanks for your help. I have a fairly complicated 'SetWakeupTime' and
> 'CheckState' scripts as described in my earlier post..
>
> http://lists.mythtv.org/pipermail/mythtv-users/2014-April/362416.html
>
> which I have been using for over 7 months. I have the right permissions
> in the sudoers file. Also, since April, I have made changes to the
> script so that the wakeup times are persistent between reboots by moving
> some of the files out of /tmp. These scripts have been working well for
> me and this is the only time they have failed in the last 50 or so
> recording attempts.
>
> Since posting this, I have looked around /var/log and every indication
> is that the system never 'woke up' at the time. If this is a bug in my
> script that has caused this, I sure would like to know and fix it.
>
> Thanks
I think I found the problem. The hardware clock from 'cat
/proc/driver/rtc' still shows that it has not been updated for the
switchover to standard time.  Maybe I did not have to use my system wake
up because I was already logged in (and the system was up) at the
scheduled wake up time.

Note that CPI requires me to disable hardware clock updates. From

https://www.mythtv.org/wiki/ACPI_Wakeup#Check_your_hardware

/Disable hwclock updates//
//
//The reason for this recommendation is that most Linux distributions
write the current system time back to the RTC when shutting down the
machine. With most RTCs, the machine will not wake up if the hardware
clock has been modified after the wakeup alarm has been set. To avoid
this, it is necessary to disable the writing of the current system time
to the RTC by the system shutdown scripts. This is distribution specific./

So all I need to do is to update the software clock to reflect the
changeover to EST.