[mythtv-users] Hauppauge PVR-350 remote not working after Debian 7 upgrade

Stephen Worthington stephen_agent at jsw.gen.nz
Sat Nov 15 02:17:46 UTC 2014

On Fri, 14 Nov 2014 15:17:33 -0500, you wrote:

>Hello,
>
>(I also posted this in the MythTV forums, so please forgive the
>double-posting if you already saw it).
>
>I have a MythTV box with a Hauppauge PVR-350 and I'm using the IR sensor
>and remote control for that card. I recently upgraded my MythTV box from
>Debian 6 to Debian 7, and upgraded from MythTV 0.24 to 0.27 (due to the
>Schedules Direct server change). This broke the version of LIRC I was
>running, which I had compiled against the 2.6 kernel on Debian 6 and which
>would not compile against the 3.2 kernel under Debain 7. So, I installed
>the lirc and lirc-x packages via apt-get, and after a fair amount of
>struggling, I was able to get the remote partially working again. The arrow
>keys work fine in MythTV, but the other buttons (OK, Back/Exit, Power,
>Play, Pause, etc.) do not.
>
>Using "ir-keytable" I can see that the button presses are being received
>and the scancodes match those listed in /etc/lirc/lircd.conf. I have
>already done the following but I still haven't solved this issue:
>
>1. Generated a new /etc/lirc/lircd.conf file using irrecord
>2. Made the key names in /etc/lirc/lircd.conf match those found in
>/lib/udev/rc_keymaps/hauppauge
>3. Made the key names in /etc/lirc/lircrc match those found in
>/lib/udev/rc_keymaps/hauppauge
>
>I have attached my hardware.conf, lircd.conf, and lircrc files for
>reference (the files end in .txt just to make them valid for uploading to
>the forum). Any idea why only the arrow keys work in MythTV after the
>upgrade? Any help would be greatly appreciated!
>
>I'm using lircd 0.9.0-pre1 from the stock Debian packages (32-bit).
>
>Thanks!

Your problem is likely related to the big changes in the IR drivers -
most have been moved into the kernel.  So the arrow keys (and the
enter key) tend to work without lirc as they have been mapped to the
corresponding keystrokes.  If you open a terminal on your desktop, you
will probably find that the arrow and enter keys on your remote will
now work there.  If so, the move to kernel drivers is likely to be
your problem.

I do not know exactly how the PVR-350 remote works, but I have an MCE
remote that came with my Hauppauge PVR-500, and also Hauppauge remotes
that came with my HVR-900r2 and Hauppauge WinTV Nova-TD-500.  The
latter two are identical in operation.  I have put my config for both
types of remote on my web server.  You might like to take a look at
them and see if they will work for you.  They will likely give you the
right way to set things up for the new kernel drivers (using
devinput):

  http://www.jsw.gen.nz/mythtv/mythbuntu-devinput-lirc.bz2

I am using Mythbuntu 14.04, but as it is derived from Debian, I think
the lirc operation is going to be pretty similar.