[mythtv-users] Ceton 6 Eth and Homerun prime power usage

Peter Bennett (cats22) cats22 at comcast.net
Tue Nov 11 20:40:17 UTC 2014

Hi Folks

I tested the power usage because the Ceton 6 Ethernet (external) seems
to run hot. Here are the results for anybody who is interested.

Ceton 6 ETH
Powered on - All tuners show Frequency 0
After watching any one tuner - All tuners show a frequency even after
stopping watching.
Power usage at the 120V outlet
Powered on         - 55.6 mA -> 6.7 W
Playing 1 channel  - 82.0 mA -> 9.8 W
Playing 2 channels - 82.0 mA -> 9.8 W
Stop all channels  - 82.0 mA -> 9.8 W
90 minutes after stopping all activity - 82.0 mA -> 9.8 W
10 W = 7.2 kWh per month. At 20c per kWh - $1.44 per month
Tuner Temperature as per the web page is 59.8 degrees C.
Place the Ceton on a metal table - temperature goes down to 46.6 degrees C.

Homerun Prime
Powered on - 38.9 mA -> 4.7 W
Playing 1 channel - 44.0 mA -> 5.3 W
Playing 2 channels - 49.8 mA -> 6.0 W
Stop all channels - 38.9 mA -> 4.7 W
4.7 W = 3.4 kWh per month. At 20c per kWh - $0.68 per month

I guess I can live with $1.44 per month for the Ceton. A pity it does
not return to the initial low power state after it is no longer
streaming data.

I will no longer be using the Homerun Prime because of ongoing problems
with "watchdog reset" that the manufacturer is unable to resolve for me.
Sometimes for days at a time it is nonfunctional, then it works for a
few days.

Peter