[mythtv-users] Captions with HD-PVR help

Bob mythtv at cox.net
Mon Nov 10 04:06:54 UTC 2014

On 11/05/2014 07:49 PM, Mike Rice wrote:
> I've pulled out my pvr-150s and pvr-350 and have been trying to use
> one for closed captions for my HD-PVR recordings.
>
> http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Captions_With_HD_PVR
> <http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Captions_With_HD_PVR>
>
> I verified that my TV shows captions on the composite input from my
> Motorola DCH3200 cable box.  But for whatever reason I don't seem to
> be recording any captions in the mpeg generated.  At least ccextractor
> doesn't seem to produce any output and viewing the mpeg file in mythtv
> doesn't seem to indicate there are captions.
>
> Here's what I've done.  See anything I am doing wrong?

Disclaimer: I did not read your entire post.

However, one of my problems I faced was my capture could not *not*
output captions unless the card was producing an MPEG stream. My
understanding is this is an issue with the way the driver was written.
So, if you do:

cat /dev/videoX > /dev/null &
zvbi2raw -m -d /dev/vbiX > pass2.vbiraw

This may get the captions for you.