[mythtv-users] mythfilldatabase fails on mariadb

Gary Buhrmaster gary.buhrmaster at gmail.com
Mon Nov 3 15:45:31 UTC 2014

On Mon, Nov 3, 2014 at 12:21 PM, Craig Treleaven <ctreleaven at cogeco.ca> wrote:
> Darwin, have you done any other tuning of MariaDB?  Say based on
> mysql_tuner.pl?  Are your 'other databases' possibly busy at the same time
> as the mythfilldatabase run?

The fact that Darwin got "Unable to connect" at import
time suggests a configuration that is broken somehow,
or has multiple incompatible versions running (or trying
to run).

If one is running other databases in ones MariaDB
installation, tuning is likely required.  MySQL (and
MariaDB) presume proper DB Admin tuning will
occur when running complex environments.

In any case, complete logs (not abbreviated) via your
favorite pastebin service, from both the mythfilldatabase
and mariadb (from startup to shutdown) would be a
logical next step.

> Gary, your positive reports on MariaDB were one of the big reasons I chose
> to go with MariaDB 5.5 rather than MySQL 5.6.  Much appreciated.

Not only myself, but (at least at one time) some of the real
devs are using MariaDB because it is now the default for
many common Linux distributions.  And while both MariaDB
and MySQL have stated that their internal engines may
diverge in the future, MyISAM and InnoDB are both 100%
compatible today at the application level, and both
engines are compiled in and shipped on most distros no
matter which server you choose to install.

That all said, the last official statement was that MythTV
supports MySQL (and not to open a new can of worms,
but at one point only MySQL fully supported an embedded
installation (I believe MariaDB has stepped up there)).

There are good reasons to change to MariaDB, some are
even non-political.