[mythtv-users] Best settings for transcoding HD content to save space?

Eric Sharkey eric at lisaneric.org
Wed May 14 03:03:58 UTC 2014

On Tue, May 13, 2014 at 6:07 PM, Michael T. Dean
<mtdean at thirdcontact.com> wrote:
> On 05/13/2014 03:45 PM, Eric Sharkey wrote:
>>
>> Although, hardware based transcoding tuners like the new HDHR units
>> may provide a cost effective solution.  I'm assuming the electrical
>> costs associated with transcoding in hardware will be a lot lower than
>> doing it in software.  If the device works reliably, and you can just
>> set it into transcode mode and forget it, all the arguments about
>> human labor associated with the transcoding go away as well.
>

> And you're only left with the argument, "Why reduce quality to save space
> when storage is cheap?"  :)

Because it's not really that cheap and doesn't perceptibly reduce quality.

I just ordered a new disk which, after being installed, will take my
backend up to around 13TB including space for all types of files
(recordings, video ripped from optical disks, audio, photos, and home
movies).  It fills up fast.  Using that space more efficiently is
definitely attractive.

But for me, it really is mostly about compatibility with portable devices.

Eric